More than two decades ago, Wanda Koop, an internationally renowned artist, saw a need for accessible arts programming in Winnipeg’s West Broadway neighbourhood. In 1998, she founded Art City, one of the first organizations of its kind in Canada. The idea: that community art programming should be accessible to all.
In 2006, Wanda Koop was made a Member of the Order of Canada in honour of her extraordinary contribution to Canadian art, and her dedication to community development through the arts.
We are not necessarily making artists, we are giving people the opportunity to think creatively, and my feeling is that if you can think creatively, you can survive almost anything. – Wanda Koop, Founder
To Dream, To Imagine, To Create. A Space For Art In Every Life.
Art City is a community art centre that offers high quality, free-of-charge art programming to those who need or wish to express themselves creatively.
Our mission is to create a positive and expanding cultural impact on the unique needs of the community by:
- Fostering self-expression in participants, and encouraging a sense of ownership, self-respect, and pride in their work and community.
- Being a part of the neighbourhood, a place that is safe, comfortable, and supportive.
- Being accessible by offering free-of-charge, quality programming with local, national, and international professional artists.
- Being sustainable and available to the community day after day, year after year.
- Being a model for future community art centres.
Contains detailed information about Art City’s programs and our audited financial report prepared by accounting firm Meyer Norris Penny.