What is Art City?
Art City is a not-for-profit community art studio dedicated to providing people of all ages with innovative and professional art programming, free of charge. Art City’s primary goal is to provide space and tools for anyone who wishes to express themselves creatively.
Art City is located on Treaty 1 territory and the land on which we gather is the traditional territory of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene Peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.
More than two decades ago, Wanda Koop, an internationally renowned artist, saw a need for accessible arts programming in Winnipeg’s West Broadway neighbourhood. In 1998, she founded Art City, one of the first organizations of its kind in Canada. The idea: that community art programming should be accessible to all.
In 2006, Wanda Koop was made a Member of the Order of Canada in honour of her extraordinary contribution to Canadian art, and her dedication to community development through the arts.
We are not necessarily making artists, we are giving people the opportunity to think creatively, and my feeling is that if you can think creatively, you can survive almost anything – Wanda Koop, Founder
To Dream, To Imagine, To Create. A Space For Art In Every Life.
Art City is a community art centre that offers high quality, free-of-charge art programming to those who need or wish to express themselves creatively.
Our mission is to create a positive and expanding cultural impact on the unique needs of the community by:
- Fostering self-expression in participants, encouraging a sense of ownership, self-respect, and pride in their work and community.
- Being a part of the neighbourhood, a place that is safe, comfortable, and supportive.
- Being accessible by offering free-of-charge, quality programming with local, national, and international professional artists.
- Being sustainable and available to the community day after day, year after year.
- Being a model for future community art centres.